Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Race Report: Oregon Ironmen 70.3

 Four years ago I tried to do the Canada 70.3 in Whistler.  In the water I had four panic attacks and was pulled out which was heartbreaking - I had wanted so badly to compete.  The reality is I wasn't ready.  The readiness problem was much more in my head but if I'm honest I didn't train nearly enough.  This year, part on a whim and part to have a new aggressive goal, I registered for and COMPLETED the Oregon Ironman 70.3 in Salem and it was AWESOME!!!  

The race course itself was amazing.  1.2mi of down river swim, 56mi pretty flat cycling, and then 13.1mi flat with trails run along the water.  The 93 degree heat wasn't terrific, but it didn't deter at all.  

For the build up for this race, I decided not to let my head get in the way and instead get some swim lessons in.  For 2mo I took swim lessons three days a week with a great teacher named Mike.  We hopped in the pool for 100 and 50 yard repeats, and did one lake swim to feel out a full mile.  I also would make sure to get lots of lake and pool time on my own to get my head in the game (water... literally).  

Juggling work and working out was tough.  Not gonna lie.  In the mornings before work I would run or cycle, then run or cycle after work and try to do meetings while walking when possible.  I only ever did one long ride and it was much less than the race distance at 40mi of which more than half was on Peloton.  

A big part of my training was mental TBH.  I consumed books non-stop.  The beauty of running is it gives plenty of time for Audible.  Here were my favs:

Triathlon for Every Woman 

To the Finish Line 

Life's Too Short to Go So F*cking Slow

Iron War 

And post-race I listened to Mike Reilly Finding my Voice which is now having me yearn for a full...

I think the biggest thing that helped me was a pep talk from a 15 time Ironman athlete the day before the race.  He had the following amazing tips:

  • If you have butterflies before the race, know everyone else does too.  Try to not let them fly off to the sides - get the butterflies to fly in an arrow and pull you forward.
  • Smile.  How lucky to be able to do a race like this.
  • Talk to God or whomever you want while going.  
  • Enjoy every second.  You worked for it.  
I thought of all of those points and more during the 70.3miles in the sun.  

One major thing that helped too was knowing my kids were eagerly waiting to hear the results.  They've come to many races, and they have been on this journey of training.  They're definitely the tribe who empowered this race along with my awesome husband, Matt.  They didn't come to this one because of our 3:30am wake up time, but they gave me a tattoo before the race to remember them and that they were with me.  

I had had one half Iron on my bucket list but now I'm not sure I'm done.  We'll see what starting line compels next!



No comments: