Thursday, July 14, 2011

Five things I love today

This past week has been nuts.  The boy realized they're two and are acting like it.  After a bad race, I got sick and was exhausted all week.  And every day at work has been back-to-back meetings leaving me having to do my day job at night.  All this said, it wasn't a bad week - alternating with the boys' two-drums were hugs and kisses and more words than I've ever heard.  The bad race made me re-embrace the need to actually train.  And work ... well, it's work.

On this evening's run I was thinking about some of the things that have gotten me through the week; so here are five things I love:
  1. Friends and family - duh!
     2. The Be Good Tanyas

On this evening's run I enjoyed the mellow voices of The Be Good Tanyas.  It's funny, usually when I race I like fast and loud mixed with quiet (and the sounds of trees, rocks flying, and breathing).  After this week, though, mellow got me into the grove of running - so much so I almost didn't want to stop.

    3. Free weights
I used to love my arms.  Now, though, after tiring everything out with lifting the boys and playing "pickup the dropped toy" over and over, I get too tired to really work my arms.  That's all changing - I'm re-kindling my love of free weights.  No more pancake arms (where I wave and my arm waves a few seconds later)!

    4. Stair repeats - when I don't have the stroller or two little hands I find great joy in running up and down stairs, mainly just because I can.

    5. Books on running

My new favorite is Women Who Run.  I've torn through Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Vintage), and Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner and have MANY more on my to-read list.  Losing myself and getting motivated by these books has also given me a new goal in life ... get published. I would love to write two books: one on running, and one with nothing to do with running but with "diggers" and history - a book for kids.  I'll regail you with more stories soon :o).

No comments: