Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Race Report: Cougar Mt. 10mi

This past weekend was another race weekend - the Cougar Mountain 10mi, the third in the Cougar Mountain series.  This was definitely a "boogy man race" as after about mile 5 I was checked out.  This was also a good reminder that the mind does tire before the body.  The race started OK - 168 of us lined up in the tall weeds at the starting line ready for the countdown.  I went out fast, probably too fast (that's my downfall) and was leading the pack for the first few miles.  Then it hit me - I was tired.  My mind started spinning with my to do list and the desire to be done and stretching - enjoying watermelon and diet coke.  Skipping to the finish line mentally during a race is rarely a good thing. 

I wound up getting 3rd woman and 31st overall.  Not great, not horrible.

All in all, a good learning experience.

No comments: