Sunday, October 12, 2014

Race report: Pt. Defiance 50K (I ran the 15K)

Today was my first trail race back since the sprained ankle this summer.  I ran the Pt. Defiance 15K (the past 3 years I've always run the 30K so this was a step down).  All in, the race was terrifying, exhausting, beautiful, and awesome. 

I placed 1st female in the 15K at 1:23 (an average of 8:20 per mile), and 6th overall.  And yes, that was AWESOME. 

The race started with a packed group of runners - more than I've ever seen for this race - but no-one wanted to step up to the starting line.  I stood ~10ft away from the start at the get go, and wound up being first off the line.

One of the greatest parts of doing this course year after year is I remember it, and I look forward to different turns and views.  There's the view of Vashon Island, the in-forest portions where all I can see, smell, and hear are trees, and the views of the mountain sloping straight down into the ocean.  At mile 3 I finally warmed up and my muscles and breathing remembered what racing is. 

In the forest, especially on the downhill left turn portions, I inwardly freaked with anxiety about my ankle turning again.  Towards the end I came to almost a complete standstill with ropes guiding me down the hill and roots and steep slopes jutting down. 


At the end, I saw Matty and was happy.  Happy to be back on trails, happy to have placed, and happy to see my awesome hub at the finish cheering me on.

1 comment:

Laura Autrey Kruss said...

Congratulations Amber!!! You're amazing. Now I can show this to people and tell them I actually know you.
Love...Auntie Laura