Sunday, April 8, 2018

(my) swimming is (not) sexy

I'm becoming more and more fascinated by triathletes.  Their dedication, ability to toggle between three challenging sports, and mindpower astound me.  This year I'm going to get back in the lake and in the saddle (bike saddle) and try more tris.  But first, the swim.  It's first in the race, but that's not what I mean here - first, I need to actually figure out how to swim without freaking out in the water and getting panic attacks. 

This past week I've gotten into the pool three times (woot!), all after much procrastination, to throw my arms and legs around in a swim.  I'm clocking between 46-48min for 2000 yards, which is not fast, but it gets the distance done.  The three times seemed cause for celebration this week, but I think I wound up getting worse, not better.  Maybe part is due to my diminishing swim gear.  First I donned a TYR suit.  Proper.  Then, I left that outside to dry ... in the rain over night.  Oops!  Then I defaulted to a two piece zip up suit.  OK, not great.  Again, left outside to dry ... in the rain.  It was sunny all afternoon though!  But bully on me - should've learned.  Finally, today I dug through the dregs of my swimwear and landed on a non-matching tankini - mom attire after twins, you know.  The top was an outlet Oiselle top, and the bottoms were a men's speedo.  Another big oops!  I love bargains and I bet I reached into the wrong bin at some sale and didn't notice until an extra bit was flapping around in the pool today.

Besides the attire, my form has something to be desired of.  I haven't mastered the cool flip in the water most swimmers seem to know and do without thinking.  Instead, I have an awkward stop at the wall, turn around, deep breath, and go move.

In an effort to improve my form, I've been reading some books on swim.  One said simply doing laps without knowing form is no good, so in advance of my laps today I flipped through the entire book and looked at pictures to try to get a cliff notes on form.  I saw something about a speed boat and big barge and kept that in my mind.  During my swim, instead of looking like either boat, I wound up looking like one of those floppy things at a used car dealership - tube (wo)man.

Oh well!  Only can improve from here, and I'm dedicated to do just that.

No comments: