Sunday, January 29, 2012

Race report: Bridle Trails 10mi

Yesterday my mom and I enjoyed the Bridle Trails race in Kirkland with 250 other amazing runners.  My mom did the 5mi version, and I did the 10mi version (I need to work back up to a 25K and one of these days I'll make a 50K).  My mom was amazing - ran the whole way on an incredibly muddy / snowy / icky trail.  I did only OK - 3min slower than my time from the same race last year (this year I ran 1:19 - last year I ran 1:16 and came in 2nd, this year, I didn't even get top 5).

All in, a great race.
Some highlights - we started at 3pm just as dusk started creeping over Washington.  The race was in a grove of trees and NW Trail runs started the runners in waves by distance starting with the 5mi.  The course went out on a single track trail and wove up a small hill, then another hill, then another.  The trail was incredibly muddy and there were some fallen trees (most of which had been cleared before the race, but some remained).  After hill number 4, we passed a house, then a track, then two horse tracks.

The 10mil loop was the 5mi version twice (and the 50K was 6 times).  Even though I ran the same loop twice, it really didn't feel like it - running in the trees is good for reducing redundancy. 

Can't wait until the next race!

No comments: