Tuesday, January 31, 2012

To do: train with your head

After the 10mi race this weekend, I was a little bummed that my time slowed by 3min.  Could it be "this is the new me" meaning my pace is just now slower?  Should I be looking at my Age Grade instead of just my Garmin now?  No - and besides, if I look at my Age Grade and don't take into account the terrain, weather, etc. it makes me feel worse!
To get back on track, and keep on track, here are the top 5 things I'm going to focus on:
  1. Run with people my pace or faster - I've been heading out with a group who is a bit slower (fun group, don't get me wrong!) but I've noticed I'm getting comfortable in the slower grove.  It's fine for one offs and long runs, but I need to challenge myself.
  2. Hit the track - I don't think I've been on a track since high school.  There's definitely something to be said for speed training and track workouts, though.
  3. Race more - Last year I was pretty good about compiling races.  The more frequent I raced, the better I got.  I can't afford to do weekly races (and frankly, I don't want to be away from the boys that much) but I can do a weekly fast long run.
  4. Start with the core - This is something coaches and chiropractors have been telling me for years.  I'm still trying to get over my mini remaining twin tummy but the reality is there's an even more compelling reason to plank and V-up - a strong core helps with distance. 
  5. Run for fun - Sometimes I am literally dragging myself into running shoes. Typically, after a mile or so the dragging stops; there are the occasional lead legs, though, where it just doesn't.  On those days I think a mile is enough - turning to another workout is a-ok - and keeping running fun is key.

No comments: