Monday, May 12, 2014

Race Report: Cougar Mt. 5mi

It was my first race back after a 6mo break (too long!!) and "it" was awesome.  Last weekend I ran the first in the Cougar Mt. trail series doing a 5mi trail race (I downgraded from the 10mi - not typical, but again, first back).  The race was Saturday morning after a perfect rainy night making the trails completely muddy - my favorite.  The Cougar 5mi had about double the amount of people I remember from the first time I did the race in 2011 and I'm so happy to see trail running continue to pick up.  There were even surprisingly a couple kids on the trail.  We started with a quick lap around a big field (Matt later told me I was in front throwing elbows ... I swear I'm polite!)  After the loop we made our way into the woods for a LOT of hills.

Here's the race write-up from the site:
"The single 5.14-mile loop starts and finishes at Sky Country Trailhead.

The course begins heading up Clay Pit Road and shortly connects with a mix of wider and moderately hilly single-track trails.  Although not highly technical, the course does involve negotiating logs and potentially unsteady footing over rocks and roots.  The course is slightly muddy in areas, but the majority of the trails are in great shape and very runnable!"
I came in 2nd female just over a minute after the first female ... just the motivation I need to hurry up!  I'm already looking forward to the next in the series.

No comments: