Saturday, August 20, 2011

It all came to a head

Well, that hurt.  That being my mega bike accident leading to a mega head injury.  Last night biking home I clearly wasn't paying enough attention (read, checked out thinking of what was for dinner, work, how the boys' day was, how nice it was outside, and how an a$$hat car just went the wrong way on a closed street) and took the trolley track from the wrong angle when BOOM, down went me and my bike.  At first I was embarrassed and wanted to get the heck out of there.  Then I was confused - there was a LOT of blood coming from somewhere above, and a LOT of strangers were stopping to stare and offer hankies and clean wipes of all sorts.  Some were just staring to see if I could talk, I think.

After pulling myself up and whipping out my tattered cell, I was whisked away in our Honda CRV chariot by my knight (Matt) to quickly pick the boys up at daycare (past closing time) and streamline to the nearest ER.  When we got to the ER Matt dropped me off because the boys were freaking, so we decided they should go get food.  I walked in and was amazed at how nice everyone was being to me.  I checked in, called my mom, sat down, and within minutes was briskly walked into the back room for the standard blood pressure and temp checks and then into a private room in the ER.  Later I found out this private room was one of few expedite rooms - head injuries mean check fast!  After MUCH painful cleaning later, my hip, arm, ankle, and tattered forehead were bloody holes, but at least they weren't as much of a mess.  I got 6 stitches on my forehead - turns out I had a 3cm giant cut that was making the dr's and nurses all a bit nervous.


Then I was whisked to get a Cat Scan "just in case there was brain bleed."  Try hearing that and acting normal.  I wept then was calm, carried on, was scanned ... and all was well.  Accept the gaping hole that still hurts as I type and when I turn my head.


The moral of this story?  I think I may have been doing too much, thinking too much, and not paying enough attention to the moment.  So, here goes ... Also, here goes my attempt at avoiding a giant scar on my forehead.





3 comments:

rcpeters said...

Ouch. Dam trolley tracks.

Michelle said...

Yikes! Glad you are ok. Take a few days to regroup!

drkruss said...

Glad you're okay. You also could have titled this "Lessons from the School of Hard Knocks".