Sunday, May 20, 2012

Race report: Seattle's Best 15K

Yesterday was the Seattle's Best 15K and it was a ton of fun!  Emily and I did the race (this was her 2nd ever).  The weather was perfect, the crowd was small, and the course beautiful - rolling hills and great views throughout.  The field was pretty small - there was a cap of 1,000 people, but only about 500 did the race.  Could be because there was another race in Seattle today, or could be because it's still relatively unknown.

I won the race - woo hoo - with a time of 1:04:34 (6:54 per mile pace).
The course went from Gas Works park, over the Fremont Bridge, quick out and back by SPU, then around the lake.  At Eastlake some of the hills got me but I had a tiny voice in my head saying "you do this with both boys in the stroller - GO!"

The one thing that really got me was the previous night's dinner - Mexican food - BAD idea.  It tasted so good at the time, but for the first three miles all I could think was "why did I eat those chips," the next three miles moved to "oh salsa, please don't do this to me," and the final three miles my stomach was screaming "if you finish soon you won't have to listen to me anymore" because at this point the growls and jabbing Mex-pains were pretty loud.

Emily's husband Lloyd, their baby boy, and our buddy Scott met us at the finish line.  We hung around for the awards - I won a plaque and a gift card to Fleet Feet - and then we took off.  After a quick post-race shower and a house cleaning blitz, Emily and the gang came over for a mellow brunch.  They brought fruit and roses as a congrats - I've never gotten race roses and it was pretty awesome.

Time to look at the list for the next race...

No comments: