Monday, December 28, 2009

Taking the high road

No, I'm not going to rant on teaching the boys manners (although Mr. Manners is just around the corner), I'm taking a baby break and musing on my passion - running.

This weekend we were in Mammoth for Christmas and I suited up, made it out the door, and realized my goodness the altitude really gets you! Here are my tips for altitude running:
  • Take it slow - I started out way too fast and died after just a mile
  • Dress for the run - it was icy and snowy in the mountains so my usual running tights and t wouldn't cut it - I layered which also isn't ideal - my recommended cold weather running outfit is water resistant running tights, a sweatproof t, a windbreaker, gloves, and ear warmers (this is only really related to altitude running because in the winter I associate altitude with snow - different story in the summer)
  • Drink up!
  • Stop and stretch - at lights instead of running in place (what Matt calls my Irish dancing) I've taken to stop and stretch - the figure 4 and calf stretches are my favs as that's where my legs always seem to die
  • Rest when finished
  • Do it again! The only way to get good at altitude running is to practice - just like the body has to adjust for distance running, it has to adjust for altitude
Can't wait to get back to the mountains.

No comments: