Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Read my hands! Sign language for babies

Typically "read my hands" isn't a nice thing. For me anyhow (picture the 101N in rush hour with bad drivers - my "sign language" typically only suggests one word). But now I'm trying to learn new sign language - signing for babies. Apparently it's the greatest thing for talking to your kids when they can't yet talk.

Last week Matt and I went to a SF Parents of Multiples event, and one of the fathers there said he had been signing with his twins (who are now 18-months old) since they were born. Now, they can not only say exactly what they want to eat and when, but they're already potty trained!!! That alone is testimony enough for me.

You can read more on the sign-phenomena in this article from the St. Petersburg Times.

No comments: