Sunday, December 21, 2008

To do: Eat Right (When Pregnant)

I'm a foodie - I love trying the new and weird and indulging in the decadently delicious. When I was in Japan I tried to find blowfish, in Italy I lived on carpaccio, and in Spain I ate a diet full of seafood for a summer. When you're pregnant, though, you need to pay a bit more attention to what goes in.

I've known a lot of women to become almost food obsessed when pregnant. "Oh no, I can't eat that ... did that touch that? ... What market are these from?" Yes, there are some things to avoid, but not too many.


  • Swordfish
  • Shark
  • King mackerel
  • Tilefish
  • Anything raw
  • In-pasturized cheese
  • Feta
  • Camembert (this one is good to avoid merely because being pregnant can make you ... um, well, farty to be blunt)
  • Blue cheese
  • Queso blanco
  • More than 300mg caffeine
  • Large amounts of herbal tea
  • Too much sugar (this isn't from Mayo - it's from trial and error (or should I say sugar high and low which cannot be good))

See? Not too much. This still leaves a loooooooong list of good foods to eat. Here's what's on my list this week:

  • Fruit: bananas (used to hate them, now I love them), grapes, apples, oranges, pears, persimmons (tis the season), tomatoes, avos
  • Veggies: carrots, lettuce, spinach, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts
  • Carbs: whole wheat bread, brown rice, polenta, rice cakes (love 'em and they're the perfect snacking food)
  • Other: carob raisins (a great treat), roots (I'm not sure what category these fit in but they're great grilled)
  • Tons of other great foods that I'm forgetting

No comments: