Saturday, December 27, 2008

Calendar and To do: 10-week weigh in

I'm not much of a weight watcher but lately I've been trying to eat more healthfully. With the holidays that's tough but it's a worthy challenge.

Weight aside, yesterday I went to lunch with a girlfriend who is due in a week (I can't wait to be there) and she gave two key points of advice:
  1. Love this time - love every day of it
  2. Take pictures of your belly - it's amazing to see it grow
So here's my picture - week 10.

As she said that I couldn't help but look at her moving belly - she said the little one had hiccups.





Thinking on my friends two points and on my experience thus far, there are 4 things that are givens in pregnancy:
  1. Amazing joy
  2. Fear
  3. Weight gain
  4. Belly growth
I've experienced the first two like you can't believe.

Circling back to the weighty issue - at only 10-weeks pregnant (still in the throws of my first trimester) weight gain isn't common. I've in fact lost weight which is freaking me out a little - I went from 127 to 125 and now am weighing in at 122. I think the decline is more due to my lack of working out than anything - muscle is heavier than fat, hence a halt in working out can lead to muscle loss.

Childbirth Solutions has a great week by week calendar of what you and baby should be going through - according to the calendar I should be gaining so I'm going to keep a closer eye on this.

Per About.com, here's where the weight does go when it comes on:

7.5 - 8.5 lbs Baby
2 lbs Amniotic Fluid
1.5 - 2 lbs Placenta
1.5 - 2 lbs Breast Tissue
3 lbs Blood Volume
2 - 2.5 lbs Uterine Muscle
4 lbs Water
8 lbs Maternal Stores

No comments: