Wednesday, March 4, 2009

19 weeks: the halfway mark!

(pic from Baby Centre UK)
I am officially half way. Typically during a race this is my "wall" where I need to turn up my iPod and push forward. Luckily, my body is doing the forward push for me - or should I say, bump push. In the past week I swear I've grown about 3 inches - I continue to get comments from managers like: "Whoa - you've grown!" or "Where did that come from?"

Per Fit Pregnancy, here's what's going on:
"Your baby is between five and six inches long and weighs about seven ounces—about the size of an apple. If the baby is a girl, early ovaries contain follicles with forming eggs. Soon, half of the genetic material for your potential future grandchildren will be formed. Pictures of babies at this age show them touching the membrane of the amniotic sac, touching their own faces, reaching for the umbilical cord, pedaling their legs, and sucking their thumbs. If you're carrying twins, they may already be swatting at each other. Your baby may already have a preference for the left or right hand. In the brain, areas of the nerve cells that serve the senses of touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing are becoming specialized and are forming more complex connections. Loud sounds as well as any feelings you may have of stress or alarm may be communicated to the baby. The baby responds to these stresses by becoming more active. Practicing yoga and meditation can be good for your sense of calm and balance."

No comments: