Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tasty Tuesday: Power Foods

As I haven't cooked anything new and exciting recently, I'm referencing the "must eats" for pregnant women (everyone really).

SF Gate suggests the following Power Foods:
  1. Sardines - personally I like the giant ones in Portugal on a cobblestone street with live music ... the can stinking up the kitchen just doesn't do it for me. But, these are packed with omega 3s which help babies brains and eyes develop.
  2. Frozen wild blueberries - yum! I love all berries. Frozen are good because when they're frozen they retain their nutrients.
  3. Swiss chard - I do love chard. I like it steamed, stir fried, etc. etc. Chard packs beta carotene which helps babies cell and tissue development.
  4. Spelt - when I do no wheat/sugar/dairy, spelt bread is a staple. Bottom line, it is easily digested and just ... well, makes everything go right through.
  5. Kidney beans - I have to admit, I haven't enjoyed these red beauties in quite some time. I should, though, they're packed with protein, fiber, antioxidants, and iron. What more could you ask for?
  6. Sesame seeds - I am a sucker for the sesame seed treats they sell in China Town. These are packed with calcium. Does the fact I always get them stuck in my teeth mean they're a "slow release calcium" food?
  7. Plain yogurt - lately I have been having a love affair with Greek yogurt. I love it with honey, fruit, nuts, jam ... really just about anything. And, it has 25% of the daily calcium requirement plus protein and other vitamins.
I just ate dinner but this tasty list is making me hungry again! Maybe it's the boys and not the list ... whatever, I'm off to eat a yogurt and blueberry treat. Hold the sardines.

1 comment:

CBuff said...

ohhh...Greek yogurt. OMG it's my obsession! Isn't it amazing??